Intro



The chronicles of Dominique Dagenais travelling to Ghana with Engineers Without Borders. Dom is one of two employees from TransCanada to join EWB and work alongside volunteers on a farming initiative in rural Ghana for 6 months.





Saturday, October 1, 2011

What am I doing in Ghana, part 2?

Last time I talked about the three first steps of changes:
1- Creating a sense of urgency
2- Building a coalition
and
3- Creating a vision

So how am I doing so far?

The House Calls:
I have visited with 3 of the seven DDAs (District Directors of Agriculture) so far. Amed Mohamed Adam in Kpendai, Dr. Savior in Karaga and Dr. Dickson in Kunpurugu. Each visit lasted at least a few days, sometime a whole week. I spent some valuable time with the DDA but also some time with some of their subordinates. On a few occasions I accompany a EAA (Extension Agent of Agriculture) in the field.

The first the objective of the visit is to find out from the DDAs' point of view what makes a good DDA and if the fellowship has either improved their skill set or had positive impact on the work they do. I also try to find the same information from their subordinates point of view.

The second objective is to engage the DDAs in a discussion about ownership of the fellowship; about the DDAs becoming the drivers as opposed to be be enthusiastic participants.

These are relatively simple objectives. The big challenge is to get to the “real” answers. Ghanaian have a long history of dealing with NGO and have a tendency to tell us what we want to hear (or what they perceive as what we want to hear). So the big challenge is to get to a better answer.

It is in part about story telling. Their stories and my stories. It's about asking about where they come from, their parents, ancestors, the land, their tribes, about how they live, and farm. It's about our children.

It is in part about building relationship. It's like engaging in a long courtship, about being patient. Once in a while between comparing notes on growing maze in the hilly region of Kungpurugu and my dad growing corn in Quebec when I was a child, the eyes get a sparkle and the door crack open a little and a question is ask and answered.

It's about pride and honour. It's about listening to their stories of perseverance, courage and past glories. Stories telling of the strength of their villages, of being together and looking after each others. Again when the sparkle comes into their eyes I remind them that it's not about Block Farm, NGO, free inputs and other programs; it about helping each other. It''s about looking out for your brothers and sisters.

The DDA Conference:

From our conference last August 16th we had the directors do a gap analysis of the skill set that is required now compare to the skill set that will be needed after decentralization. The directors gave us a very good indication with this exercise of what skills the Fellowship should focus on for the near future.

For the next conference in a few weeks we are planning on having a session on Project Management among other things. We also plan on having a session on assessing the effectiveness of the DDA Fellowship. We also want to explore the logistic requirements of managing and running the fellowship and look at what requirements could be assigned to the Directors? I am preparing some of those sessions but Erin (my coach) Don (my motto riding instructor) and Siera (one of my surrogate daughters) will heavily weigh in with their wisdom.

By our last conference in late November all the ground work should be done to have the tools to create a vision for the Fellowship going forward. By then I will have visited all DDAs and hopefully we can propel the Fellowship into 2012 with the Directors at the helm.

Lots to do and so very little time. I feel that I am barely starting my work and already I see the end nearing.

Logging off,

Dom

No comments:

Post a Comment